KALTBULT magazine interview

Bend Light!




Harry Hains is a 20 year old model who just moved to New York after living in London & traveling through Europe. He has a very interesting obsession: film photography. He will always carry his camera with him everywhere he goes and in his visual diaries he documents his daily adventures out and about, adventures he shares on his blog: Bend-Light!
 

KALTBLUT: What has made you move from Australia to New York?
Harry: I’ve been away from my home in Melbourne for about a year now (wow, it’s been a long time..) most of which has been spent in London. I was studying a Bachelor of Science at university and after my first year I had to get out! With my best friend agreeing to come with and modelling opportunities I took off. Though things were starting to heat up in London, I left in the midst of the peak for a new challenge — arriving in New York a few weeks ago to further my modelling career, study acting and utilise my US passport that I was so lucky to have (thanks mum).



KALTBLUT: How different do you find it in New York and what fascinates you most?
Harry: Ooh they are so very different, I don’t even know if I’ll recognise Melbourne when I return. I felt so limited there, so contained. New York is FULL of creative opportunities, with room for anyone to grow, it is hungrier and more competitive and has the most amazing selection of restaurants and food that any boy could even dream of.. My biggest problem is I am too fascinated by everything, I love the endless fashion and art and the people here are all so driven and motivated that it inspires me. New York is incredible: the energy that flows through this city is something that I’ve never seen anywhere else.


KALTBLUT: How did you decide to start taking pictures?
Harry: Half-way through last year we were in Barcelona and my backpack of all things important and electronic including camera, phone, macbook and wallet was stolen (times of darkness) so with my newfound fear of being robbed I started to use a disposable camera and leave everything at home.

When I had these developed I realised how beautiful some of them looked — far more interesting then my camera or phone. Over time I started to use it more and more until now I never leave my house without one! I have become obsessed and I think (or hope) my friends are getting some of the obsession as I WIDLY snap at them.. As of last week.. Strangers.. Where does it end?!
 KALTBLUT: What does your day look like? What would it be like without your camera?
Harry: My day-to-day changes but there’s always a photo being taken and I update my blog almost everyday with the adventures my camera & I share. At the moment I’m setting up a magazine so running around organising with meetings here and there and then studying acting on the side. But ALWAYS with my deposable in my pocket. I like it because it captures the instant, the moment, there’s no turning back and no way to see the present until the night is over & enough time to forget has passed. I’d feel a little helpless or something without it! (ok I admit when I run out of film, a piece of me inside dies). I’ve grown very attached, perhaps too attached, but I like it — a nice romance.
 Interview by Amanda M. Jansson

http://www.kaltblut-magazine.com/harry-hains/
http://www.kaltblut-magazine.com/harry-hains/
http://www.kaltblut-magazine.com/harry-hains/